I suggest you...

Offer to automatically truncate (rather than reject) long filenames in a compilation

Please offer to automatically truncate long (>127 char) filenames (serializing them as needed to get unique names). [Outright rejection of long filenames from a compilation is annoying - some other burners will truncate automatically (generally without asking, which is not nice either, but at least the burning of a compilation is not delayed).] Thanks for listening.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
fwcetus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jinx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to the file rejection dialog: I've noticed that files containing certain invalid characters (e.g. semi-colon) are also rejected due to an "Internal SDK Error". Because this only happens in ISO9660/Joliet mode, I assume the actual error is that such a character is not valid under that filesystem. It would be good if the error message said that instead.

Even better would be the option to "replace invalid characters with underscore" (or a valid character of the users choosing).

Thank you for the response. Somehow FAT32 stores these lengthy filenames without issues (no Unicode?), but UDF doesn't, so I would say this is definitely a limitation on UDF. They really ought to improve the standard for future operating systems.

Can I take it by your response that the truncate option will be made available in future versions?

It'd be great if you could update the export option as well, so that one could export a list of the renames (CSV or TAB delimited with "NewName{Delimiter}OldName"). Perhaps it could even generate a friendly BAT file which, if placed in the root of the disc, could automatically rename all the files again (if the contents were extracted to a writeable drive)! Now that would be just perfect.

• AdminCanneverbe Limited (CEO / Founder, CDBurnerXP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UDF supports 255 bytes for file names - which are unfortunately just 127 charaters considering international file names. So UDF is not really worse than FAT.

Even if there were other file systems, operating systems would have to support them, otherwise the disc would be pretty much useless. So no way around UDF at this point.

Is there no disc based filesystem that supports filenames longer than 127 characters? Apparently even the latest UDF doesn't?

I know this isn't the fault of CDBurnerXP, but it's really annoying that even FAT32 (from 1996) can support filenames up to 255 characters (and virtually unlimited path lengths), but not even recent versions of UDF support above 127 characters.

In absence of any such superior filesystem, this truncate suggestion will have to do.

Feedback and Knowledge Base